Built by Palladio for the Barbaro brothers between 1550 and 1560, the Villa stands on the medieval layout of an older building and was also conceived to serve a functional purpose as a work of hydraulic engineering.
It is in a spectacular setting at the foot of the green Maser hills and the sections of the building are lined up on a single axis. The dwelling of the owners and the “barchesse” (grain stores) form a compact unit, underlining the close relationship between architecture and agriculture, art and the landscape.
The man responsible for the sculptures was Alessandro Vittoria, a brilliant pupil of Sansovino, who created the stucco finishing. The decorations inside the Villa are also stupendous. Paolo Veronese produced one of the most outstanding series of frescos in 15th century Veneto.
Click here to download the brochure (pdf)
Info: Villa di Maser
Photos: Municipality of Maser