It is certain that Preganziol hosted myriad meadows, as suggested by the prefix of its name ‘pre’ which comes from the term ‘prai’ or meadows. On the other hand, the second part of the municipality’s name is the subject of ample debate. Some believe it derives from the surname of its first landowner (Golza, Galzolo or Graziol), while others affirm that it comes from another descriptive word referring to the territory: a meadow protected by a dense forest, as suggested by the terms ‘gazo, giagio orgiaolo’.
This territory boasts lush vegetation, a characteristic that was cited in a document created in 1317 which refers to the need to ‘cut and trim’ the area’s forests because ‘they offered dangerous comfort to aggressors from the streets’.
The first historical references linked to this municipality mention the Church of Preganziol and its donation to the Canonical Capitulary of Treviso with a papal bull issued by Pope Alessandro Terzo in 1170. Another source—known as ‘the Quaternus’—dates back to 1307 and mentions the ‘Regula de Sambughedo’ which most likely refers to ‘Sambughè’, another name whose origins can be traced back to the territory’s natural distinctiveness and the widespread presence of the elderberry plant.
In 1350, the hamlet was hit by a violent outbreak of the plague which caused innumerable victims and provoked a large flux of emigration to larger cities. To counteract this trend, the Municipality of Treviso was forced to issue a law that established a five-year tax exemption for those who would return to the area and settle there.
As far back as the 1200s, Preganziol played a role of increased importance compared to bordering communities; this factor was mainly due to its privileged position in relationship to the Terraglio. At the beginning of the thirteenth century, locals began digging a canal that was meant to connect Treviso to Mestre and the Lagoon. The earth that was dug out from the canal was deposited to one side and beaten down by passing travelers and carriages, forming an embankment (Terraleum) which became a road fostering communication. Said road became so effective, in fact, that the original idea of creating a canal was abandoned. Later called ‘the Napoleonic Road’, it was much improved thanks to the decisive efforts of Napoleon who ordered for the road be widened and reinforced; even in modern times, this road looks like a suggestive axis, bordered by century-old plane trees. Many important Venetian patricians built their villas in the area including the following families: the Pesaro, the Querini, the Loredan, the Lin, the Morosini, the Erizzo, the Balbi, the Soranzo and many more.
Built along the Terraglio near San Trovaso, the villa Albrizzi Franchetti (constructed between 1680 and 1700) manages to catch the attention of even the most hurried visitors. At the end of the 1700s, this noble dwelling became an active center for culture thanks to Isabella Teotochi Albrizzi, who played host to myriad illustrious artists and scholars including sculptor Antonio Canova, Ippolito Pindemonte and Ugo Foscolo, who began writing his famed work ‘I Sepolcri’ precisely in this evocative setting. The villa was originally the country dwelling of the Albrizzi family, who made their fortune as merchants of Venetian fabrics. Later, it was enhanced and equipped with two barns. Designed according to the Palladian style by Treviso architect Andrea Pagnossin, the villa is surrounded by 11-hectares of land which became an English-style park, full of forest trees and rare plants used to produce essences.
Info: Municipality of Preganziol www.comune.preganziol.tv.it
Photo: Municipality of Preganziol