You are here: HomeDiscovering the placesTownsFrom S to Z
S._LUCIA_DI_PIAVE_comune
The name ‘Santa Lucia’ is considered a paleographic place name that’s rather recent. The ancient Latin toponym of this town located in the Contado di San Salvatore was ‘Sub Silva’. Instead, in 1474, it was referred to as ‘Santa Lucia de Foresto
...
Leggi tutto
Vazzola
In the lands comprising Vazzola, there have been a variety of archaeological findings from the countryside's history, including the ancient vases, coins and pottery now on display at the Museum of Oderzo.

In ancient times, this area was cover
...
Leggi tutto
The first settlements in the territory of San Polo di Piave were created thanks to the nearby Roman road Opitergium Tridentum which started from Oderzo, ran throught the current location of St. Giorno, Caminada and Tezze in the direction of the hills.

San Polo ...
Leggi tutto
Sernaglia_della_Battaglia_Il_Fiume_Piave_a_Falz-La_Marca_del_2000_Vidor_281
The term ‘Sernaglia’ does not have precise origins from an etymological point of view. On the other hand, historians suggest that the territory’s history is deeply linked to the Great War. After the Retreat of Caporetto in October 1917, the Sernaglia pl
...
Leggi tutto
San_Fior_loc._Castello_Roganzuolo_Collina_con_chiesa_monumentale-La_Marca_del_2000_Galifi_177
Cited for the first time in a document that dates back to the year 1074, the name ‘San Fior’ is thought to be linked to the Municipality of Treviso and its influence. Around the year 1000, Treviso is said to have forced the territory’s inhabitants to...
Leggi tutto
San_Vendemmiano_comune
 The Municipality of San Vendemiano got its name from African bishop Saint Vendemiale who was martyred by the Vandals. Since ancient times, his cult has been associated with that of San Fiorenzo. In the VII century, Tizano, the Bishop of Treviso, brought re
...
Leggi tutto
S.Pietro_di_F._comue
San Pietro di Feletto is located in the Veneto foothills, along the ridge of hills that stretch north toward Conegliano. The name Feletto derives from the Latin word filix for “fern”. The landscape of this area lives up to this nam
...
Leggi tutto
Salgareda_comune
The name for Salgareda derives from the word salghèr in Veneto dialect, meaning “willow”, the type of tree found all around the river, countryside and valleys nearby. Settlement here dates back to ancient origins, all the
...
Leggi tutto
San Biagio owes its name to its devotion to Saint Biagio, a bishop and martyr. It was also named for the military road ‘Callis Alta’ (known today as SS.53 'Postumia'), which was built in the late Roman era, after the destruction of the ancient ro
...
Leggi tutto
San_Zenone_degli_Ezzelini_comune
San Zenone degli Ezzelini, comprising the valleys and flatlands between the surrounding hills, has been inhabited since ancient times, as attested by the numerous archaeological findings here.
After receiving the territory of San Zenone 
...
Leggi tutto
Sarmede_comune
Numerous archeological remains bear fitness to the fact that Sarmede, a town with ancient origins, was inhabited as far back as the Bronze Age. Ample settlements have also been attributed to the Roman era. The town gets its name from the ‘Sarmati&rsqu
...
Leggi tutto
segusino_comune
The town Segusino, situated in a lovely landscape of hills, is pleasantly enriched by impressive churches and oratories. The Parish-Church of St. Lucia was entirely restored following the devastating destruction during World War I and is now decorate
...
Leggi tutto
Silea_Lansa_del_Sile_a_santelena_di_Di_Nisio_Francesco
Silea, previously known as “Melma” because of the nearby river (melma is the Italian word for a type of mud found there), is made up of four parts; Silea, Lanzago, Cendon and Saint Elena. Each of these areas, as local travel-writer Danilo Sco
...
Leggi tutto
Tarzo_comune
The town’s territory is characterized by a series of hills which dot the landscape either in groups or alone, dividing these green fertile valleys, in juxtaposition with the bare, craggy landscape found elsewhere. The Valsana valley borders the Munici
...
Leggi tutto
Spresiano_veduta_aerea
The name Spresiano comes from its former name in Latin “Sperciglanus”. This ancient settlement was originally developed around the Piave, using its springs as sources of life and work.
Under Napoleon's control, the original path of the river was no
...
Leggi tutto
Trevignano_comune
Although the current name of this town, Trevignano, seems to clearly reference the vineyards typical of the Veneto region (vigne means vineyards in Italian), this town’s name actually comes from a different derivation. Instead the original
...
Leggi tutto
Vedelago_AdrianoFederico_Cavasagra
The abundance of flowing water in Vedelago has led to this area being inhabited ever since the Prehistoric age. Vedelago’s nearby waterways as well as its location between Via Postumia and Via Cornara made it an important town for Ancient Rome. In the Mid
...
Leggi tutto
Vidor_comune
The Vidor area was settled as far back as the Roman times due to the presence of the Via Claudia Augusta Altinate. During the Middle Ages, Vidor became strategically important, serving as a junction and port along the Piave River; said port was used until 1
...
Leggi tutto
Villorba_comune
Villorba was anciently known as “Villa Urbis extra Moenia” (“seat of the city, outside the wall”). Already known in Ancient Roman times, the city assumed an important role throughout the Longobard invasion, when the counts of Treviso (the C
...
Leggi tutto
Volpago_FAST
Historically, the name Volpago signified a “town of red land” and the terrain here clearly confirms this.
Under the control of the Venetian Republic, Volpago was a very important agricultural centre, with vast fields of corn, as well a
...
Leggi tutto
The town of Zenson di Piave is characterized by the presence of the Piave River, which borders the town to the north and east, and features a flat landscape of fields cultivated with crops and vineyards.
Zenson di Piave's vici
...
Leggi tutto
Zero_Branco_Villa_Guidini_Marc_De_Tollenaere
The history of Zero Branco seems to have very ancient roots: an ancient settlement for the Paleovenete people (Ancient Venetians), it was conquered by the Roman military in the 2nd century BC. The territory was once covered entirely by forests until the&nbs
...
Leggi tutto
Susegana_comune
The name Susegana dates back to the Roman colonization of the area. At that time cultivated fields, which were often given as rewards to former soldiers, were often named after the person to whom the land had been given: thus, Susegana simply means “the
...
Leggi tutto
This site uses cookies . To learn more or to make specific choices about the use of cookies click on " I want to be informed ." To express your consent click on " Accept" . If you ignore this banner , scrolling the page or continuing with navigation, however, you consent to the use of cookies .